Aesthetic Vaginal Surgery
What is Aesthetic Vaginal Surgery?
Aesthetic vaginal surgery is comprised of surgical procedures to enhance the appearance of the vagina and labia. The procedures are sometimes referred to as cosmetic vaginal surgery, vaginal rejuvenation, and vaginaplasty. The evolution of societal views about sexual performance and marital relationships – and the acceptance of cosmetic surgery in general have encouraged women to pursue aesthetic vaginal surgery.
Women choose to undergo this surgery because they wish to:
- Change the look of labia minora
- Lessen the feeling of discomfort during exercise due to enlarged labia minora
- Prevent bulges and improve the appearance while wearing tight clothing such as a bathing suit or a leotard
- Tighten the vaginal muscles
- Improve vaginal sensation during intercourse
- Decrease trauma and discomfort during intercourse due to reduced hymeneal opening
- Adhere to some cultures’ tradition of an unbroken hymen prior to marriage
What Types of Aesthetic Vaginal Procedures are Performed?
Labiaplasty is the removal of excess or asymmetrical labia minora, the smaller interior vaginal lips.
Perineoplasty involves the surgical revision of the area between the vagina and the anus.
Vaginaplasty is the removal of excess mucous membrane called vaginal mucosa, and the tightening of the underlying muscles throughout the entire length of the vagina.
Hymenectomy refers to the surgical enlargement of the hymenial membrane located at the vaginal opening.
Hymenoplasty is the reconstruction of the hymen.
Hymenotomy involves the surgical removal or opening of the hymen
Vaginal surgery does not change deep seated psycho-social and emotional issues. There is as much variety in the appearance of female genitalia as there is in the human face. It is important to understand that there is no "abnormal" look to female genitalia. Prior to making a decision to undergo cosmetic vaginal surgery, a woman should realize that sexual satisfaction is a complex experience related to physical appearance and sensations, as well as feelings of self confidence, hormonal milieu, and relationship with one’s partner.